Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sweet Moments

Today at preschool I had a few experiences that really got me thinking and made me grateful for my job and the different experiences it is giving me. My director came in this morning and said that a new student was coming in and he only speaks Russian... He of course freaked out crying and screaming when his mom and grandmother left. He pounded on the door screeching for an hour and wouldn't even look at me. Eventually he moved to lying on the floor. He refused to eat lunch but as he laid on the floor crying I decided to sit next to him and rub his back. I sat there on the floor rubbing his back pleading with Heavenly Father to please calm this poor child's soul and give him the peace that I could not communicate through words to him. He soon stopped crying, and I knew that Heavenly Father was very aware of me and this child of His. It wasn't a total and complete transformation but we were eventually able to get him up and walking around the classroom. By the end of the day, this child had friends he was playing with and was smiling at me and playing. It made me really grateful for answered prayers and for the knowledge I have of a loving Heavenly Father and his influence in my life. 


A second sweet moment of the day was after most of the kids had fallen asleep during nap time. I looked around the room and I had an overwhelming feeling of love for the children. They are children of Heavenly Father, and for a split second I felt like I could feel His love for them. They have these sweet and gentle loving spirits, that are sensitive to influences around them. It really softened my heart towards some of them that are a little bit more difficult. It opens up a new understanding to caring for someone else's children in my mind. I also was sitting next to a child as she was falling asleep for her nap. She leaned over to me and just said, "I love you." This made me realize that those are the kind of moments that make my job rewarding and totally worth it. It also makes me really really excited to be able to eventually raise my own children. I am looking forward to being able to tuck them into bed for their naps and to be able to sing nursery rhymes with them. But until then, I am going to do my best to influence these children for good and help them to feel the love that their Heavenly Father has for them. And for now, I can do my best to be an instrument in His hands for doing that.

2 comments:

Kristine said...

I love the stories! Ya know it's moments like that that make going through miserable pregnancy's and labor TOTALLY worth it. It's amazing how close these children are to Heavenly Father! And how much of an influence we have on them. They copy EVERYTHING we do! I'm so happy your job is going good! You are an amazing teacher, I'm sure! And you are able to reach out to kids, so they love you! Thanks for sharing your sweet moments! (made me cry actually! But a good thing!)

N. Slade said...

This is why you are an amazing teacher! You always put Heavenly Father first and everything always falls into place! Your students love you!!