Friday, January 15, 2010

My Year In Review

So now that we're already halfway through January, I finally decided to look at some of my major highlights from 2009. It was an amazing year with so many incredible memories with family and friends, along with millions of learning experiences and lessons learned. Here are just a few of the highlights.

  • I began 2009 by starting my last semester of school in Provo. I didn't know that it would be my last semester in Provo, but it turned out to be great. I did my practicum experience in a 4th grade classroom working with two different teachers. It was such an amazing experience. I also had the opportunity to bond with many of the other girls in my classes and I built some friendships I will always remember. It was during these few months that I made a last minute decision to go to DC for my student teaching. 
  • In June, Tyler and Mckenzie got married! It was a beautiful day full of family and friends. They had a garden wedding with an outdoor reception. It was a gorgeous day and we had a lot of fun! (especially decorating their car, which I have been told that when my turn comes...I have already been warned) 
  • In July I had the opportunity to go to Ecuador with my mom, Vicki, and my sister Nicole. Vicki has some church friends down there, so we spent a few days touring the country and also a couple of days in the indigenous community. We went bridge jumping, go-cart driving, horseback riding, spent a night in the rain forest with cockroaches, killed a tarantula in our room, spent hours with little kids playing Ecuadorian games, and almost died a number of times! It was an incredible experience that was so so humbling. I was embraced into a culture that I never would have imagined getting the chance to do first hand. What an amazing 10 days! This was just the beginning of my travel bug.  
  • In August I graduated from college with my Bachelors! Well I didn't really graduate because I still had my student teaching to do in DC, but I walked for graduation. It was very exciting, yet kind of mind boggling at the same time! Since when was I old enough to graduate from college?! And what did I really want to do with my life?!?!? 
  • This past summer was my last summer in Provo. It was such an eventful time filled with camping, star gazing, LOTS and LOTS of sand volleyball, pool time, summer loving, and Partying! Many memories! 
  • In September I moved to Washington DC to do my student teaching. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I was blessed with incredible roommates, an awesome mentor teacher, and amazing students. Those students taught me WAY WAY WAY more than I could ever imagine or more than I ever taught them during this time. It was here that I learned some really important life long lessons and grew more than I had ever thought possible in ALL aspects of my life. 
  • In October, Allie and Tiff flew out to New York City. I was able to meet them up in the city for the weekend! It was so unforgettable! We did a lot of new things I had never done in the city, which was great! We went to the Doughnut plant, the Shake Shack, the Metropolitan museum, ate some NY pizza, and saw the 9/11 sites. Allie and I went to Wicked Saturday night and Tiff went to the Lion King. Wicked was my favorite Broadway show I think I've seen so far! I LOVED IT! The music, acting, and set were incredible! Just amazing! 
  • This Thanksgiving was the first Thanksgiving since 8th grade that I was able to spend with my family! It was So So nice to go to Philadelphia and spend the time with my aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents. It was a nice break from school and chance to get away from life for a few days. 
  • And finally...we come to Christmas break. I finished up in DC and stopped in Philly at my Grandmas for a day. She spoiled me of course, and then I picked up Nicole and her boyfriend Juston at the airport for the drive home. We considered this our road trip for the year. Chris and Kristine flew in with the kids a few days later. We sure missed Tyler and Mckenzie this year at Christmas, just wasn't quite the same without them! Coley and Juston got engaged Christmas morning, so we're now all preparing for an April wedding! I had the opportunity to go out a few nights with the girls, some of which I hadn't seen in two years and I also got to go to lunch with a few guy friends from high school. What a great Christmas break and end to another fabulous year! 
This past year was full of so many blessings in my life and people that have touched me in ways they will never know the impact of. I have no idea where I will be in the next couple of months or what this next year will bring for me. I do know though, that Heavenly Father is fully aware of me and everything that I do and He'll guide me in the decisions I make. I'm really really looking forward to seeing what this year will bring and where I will be by December!

No comments: